Adam Miller Toy and Bicycle Shop, 8 Center Street, Batavia, NY was purchases in 1946 from Walter J. Davis. Mr. Davis started his wheel goods store in 1918 and in 1929 constructed a building at 8 Center Street to sell bicycles, tricycles, metal pedal cars, and other various types of toys. he also sold cigars and cigarettes and sharpened ice skates, lawn mower blades, and even strung tennis rackets to keep the business going.
In 1946 Adam F. Miller became the proud owner of the Davis Wheel Goods store which became Adam Miller Wheel Goods. Pryer to owning his new store Mr. Miller started out working at Hiscuitt Baking Company and also worked part time as a salesman for Adelman Electric on Main Street selling appliances. He then spent five years with AT&T as an attendant before his business venture in 1946. Sometime in the mid 1950's Mr. Miller put up a neon sign outside the store. That sign still works today as good as it did back then thanks to a restoration job done by his children Joyce Masse and Gary Miller in 1990. The sign has become a fixture in the community that everyone recognizes. It also has become the company's logo for newspaper ads and business cards.
Mr. Miller growing his business steadily increased the bicycle lines to include Schwinn in the 1960's. He also added on to the building to include a year round full service repair shop. With the added space Mr. Miller expanded into the Toys and Hobbies for kids of all ages. Everything sold at the store was assembled and serviced at the store. The customers satisfaction was his number one goal.
In the late 1970's Mr. Miller retired and turned the store over to his two children Joyce Masse and Gary Miller. They continued to run the family owned business for another 25 years and it became known as the "neatest store in town." During this time Mr. Miller would still visit the store daily. Just to make sure that the store was running smoothly.
Mr. Miller passed away at the age of 90 in 2000. The Miller family had been running the family owned business for over 56 years serving the Genesee area. Looking to retire themselves, Joyce and Gary decided to find someone to take over the store and carry on the long standing tradition of the store's commitment to customer satisfaction and service.
In March of 2002, Joyce and Gary sold the business to John and Cathy Roche of Corfu. Friends of the Millers for nearly twenty years and associates in the bicycle industry. John and Cathy have learned the traditions that the Millers have brought to the Adam Miller Toy and Bicycle Shop and will continue to carry them on in the future. It sill will be the "neatest store in town."